Monday 21 November 2011

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

5
Inheritance is the final book in the Inheritance Cycle (formerly a trilogy) and similar to the rest of the books in the series: it doesn’t have the deepest, most riveting story, but it’s an enjoyable Epic Fantasy.

The story again follows Eragon and, as in Eldest and Brisingr, the Point-Of-View jumps between other characters for the ‘insight’. If you’ve read the other books, and a bit more Epic Fantasy/High Fantasy on the side, you’ll probably predict where everything is going. Paolini seems to really like the idea of foreshadowing, destiny and all that so the hints are all there. It doesn’t take away from the story, in my opinion, but I wouldn’t expect any moments of intense surprise.

The characters are great, but sometimes seem to change dramatically for the sake of the story (I’m thinking of Arya here). And Eragon is a bit…angst-y. I do tend to like Eragon, but sometimes I think he’s too worried what everyone thinks and what he’s expected to do. As everyone says to him, he should just stop worrying and try to get on with defeating Galbatorix. I like Arya and Nasuada more (though they both seem to revamp their personalities at the end for no apparent reason), but my favourite character has to be Angela. The one person I know in real life who reads these agrees, and I ask anyone who has read this to tell me who their favourite character is. I’m looking for some Angela love her.

I like her because she’s so quirky, yet powerful. Better yet, we know absolutely nothing about her, except that she’s older than she looks and incredibly intelligent. I actually have, after this book, a suspicion of who she may have been. Regardless of who she is, every scene that has Angela in just lights up for me because she’s the only one who can make me life or make me terribly confused. She’s wonderful, and I’d read these books again just for her.

There’s not much I can say without ruining the story, but I think the book is satisfying. I give it 5 because I really like the series for its straight-forward, sorcery and shield Epic Fantasy story, and I think this last book sticks to that. The ending itself had me a little disgruntled, but I can see why he did it. Other bits, too, felt rushed; but again I got the gist of what he was trying to write and say.

So it’s a story with a few (predictable) twists, with lots of magic, swords and dragons. I enjoyed the series, and I’d advise most people to at least give it a go, but I, for one, think that it’s a good thing the series ended. Had it continued, I may have not.

NB I also adore the covers of these books. I can literally spend hours staring out those Dragons on the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment