Friday 11 November 2011

Friday Hop Six

Q: In light of 11.11.11 and Veteran’s Day tell us about your favorite soldier and how he or she is saving the world. Fictional or real life.

I might be strange and hated for saying this, but I disagree with war in every way. I cannot accept that two world powers have what are effectively their 'underlings' die for them in conflicts. If people have a stake in the war, fine, but I think that should be kept under personal conflicts. And if they do it for money then I have to say that is regrettable: that a man or woman's government cannot provide jobs enough for their constituents and so put them to work fighting and risking their lives. I know people who, being 17, want to join the army, navy, air force or otherwise come the end of school- but I think it will lead to a pointless loss of life. The repition of wars throughout time show how we are a violent race and that we must amend this and stop this loss of life. Because whenever one war stops, there is short period of so-called 'peace time' before soldiers are called on again.

If I offend, then I am sorry. I'm intensely pacifist and only just about believe in self-defense. It's my problem, since I know why war is necessary and a symptom of the age or however you say it. Maybe I'm just 'too young' to appreciate what I am saying. Because we all know that come 18, we see the world with perfect clarity.

So I don't have a favourite soldier, in the intended sense of the word. It's a remembrance day to remind us that al these people died. If I can take anything from it, I take away the horror and pernicious nature of war as something that I cannot praise or approbate. Sorry. I actually half-considered not saying anything, but what is a blog if not a way to globally express free speech.


Love-Hate Relationship: Which characters from a book do you love to hate?

Hurgh. This is hard. Can I get back to you? No...

I think I have to say I hate Frodo with a passion from the Lord of the Rings. Okay, I've only read one, but I've seen the films and I know how he distrusts Sam despite his unwavering loyalty. I feel like screaming at him "People like this are rare enough- don't go shattering his faith you little hairy-footed cretin!" Or something along those lines: I'd probably be more hysterical and be incoherent. But I understand he's my protagonist and he does some good in the end. I kind of think I just like him because I like Sam.

Also, I love Richard III from Shakespeare's play. He is such a cold-hearted, hateful man, but he's so clever and- when rightly played or read- also funny in a dark way. I know I should hate him, but he's so well done that we're endeared to him despite our better judgement. The same goes for MacBeth. I think he's a power-hungry lunatic (with a wife who is more so), but when he makes sense then I like him and can understand him. The Bard was a great writer, since I could probably find one character like this in all his work, had I read it all. As it is, I've read two and seen maybe 5 or 6. Good ol' William.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, war is not always the best solution to things.

    New follower.

    Cassy @ Late Night Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all entitled to our own opinion, that's okay. :) I agree that war isn't necessarily the best way to settle things, but unfortunately, it'll always happen, which is sad.

    BTW, I love that you went with Shakespeare for your TGIF answer! I would never have thought, though I don't remember a lot of the Shakespeare I read in high school --- I might have to give it another read.

    Happy TGIF & FF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy vet's day! I'm a follower here!

    stop by my blog?! I just got a SHINY new scifi design to go along with my book! :)

    http://www.lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete