Tuesday 13 December 2011

Top Ten Books I Want To Give As Gifts (and to who...even if you won't actually give them!)

 


 I'll start off with the ones I can and will give, then get the unlikely ones.
  1. An Undetermined Cookbook to my father. Now I know that sounds like I'm saying "You can't cook: fix it!!!" but it's more along the lines that he's got more interesed in cooking recently and- since he's a damnably hard person to buy for, I'm getting this. Problem solved, crisis averted.
  2. The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan for my brother. I mentioned when I reviewed The Lost Hero that I buy the Riordan books for my brother, but mainly because I also really like them. And I always buy them for him- only he doesn't know I read them. This was easy to decide!
  3. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern for Hannah at Once Upon A Time since I promised I would. Everyone who reads this can bear witness to me saying this. I will buy it for her if she does not have it by New Year's Day. It's amazing and I know I'll enjoy feeling as though I'm sharing my adoration.
  4. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings for Hannah too. She likes fantasy (or at least she's a really great liar about the fact she does) and I want need someone else out there to have read these books and hopefully to love them. But I won't be buying it for her since I also feel special for discovering something I alone seem to love. (I'd probably buy these for every blogger I follow too. Someone else must love this!)
  5. Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings would also find it's way to her too. I don't think book one is really amazing, and this (book two) is what actually hooked me to the series.
  6. Horde by Ann Aguirre for Karen at For What It's Worth. This isn't feasible because (a) it isn't published yet and (b) and don't even know if it's written yet. Regardless, I'd like to reach into the future and get this for her. I'm sure she'd adore it.
  7. The Help by Kathryn Stockett for Tiger at All Consuming Books. On one hand, I'd like to buy this for most people out there since it's an amazing book. Yet, despite the film, I think it's kinf of unknown, which is sad. It's a great book, and I think Tiger is eclectic enough to not put it off.
  8. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky to be bought an left on a train somewhere. It's so easy to love this book and be drawn into it. I'd leave it with a post-it saying "READ ME!" so that someone would try it. I'm sure they'd adore it.
  9. The Road by Cormac McCarthy just like above. Maybe this time on a plane since it's short enough that you could read a chunk of this on a flight and still be kind of hooked. The lack of actual chapters makes it hard to put down since most readers like stopping a set intervals.
  10. The Elegance of the Hedgehog for a director who could do it justice. I want someone to read this and at least make a stab of making this film. It's truly great, and I can't see how someone wouldn't love it. I know the film wouldn't be great, but I can only read this book so many times until it means unhealthy. I need another medium to enjoy it. Though he's not a director Adam (RoofBeamReader) would probably also like this!

5 comments:

  1. You have quite a few books I wouldn't mind receiving as a gift. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love David Eddings too! :) I haven't read many of his books, but I have read Pawn of Prophecy, and it was excellent. Fantasy at its best.

    A great idea with The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I just read it for the first time a few weeks ago, and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie- I think readers are always happy to receive books though, are we not? Thanks for the compliment though!

    couchpotato- *Gasp!* Someone else has read it. *Cue fanfare* Oh, you must read them, then tell me what you think. That you loved book one only makes me want to stuff the other four books (and then another series) down your figurative reader's throat. Wallflower is amazing. I really need to sit down and read it again to enjoy it once more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alex, I have the same feeling about Jasper Fforde's novels -- I want everyone to read them because they're the best things ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. couchpotato- Well I guess I must read them! Here comes someone with my same beseeching love for a book and an author, yet how can expect anyone to read what I suggest if I don't read these! I'll read them after Christmas, when there are sales and I can get away with buying a book (I'll be getting boxes of them over the holidays!)

    ReplyDelete