Friday 9 December 2011

Friday Hop Neuf


Q: Keeping with the Spirit of Giving this season, what book do you think EVERYONE should read and if you could, you would buy it for all of your family and friends?

I think because it's Christmas, I'd have to say The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, purely because I think it would appeal to more people and because, in a way, it makes you feel festive and involved magical because it is so well loved. I think people would adore this book. But they shan't have my copy!

I'd also try to get them to read a few books from the Belgariad series (my favourite) because I think they are easy to get lost in a to just enjoy reading. Again, I'd rather not share my copies but give them their own to share about. Also, my familly isn't really reader-some; I'd very much like to correct this.



Book to Movie: Which book turn movie do you feel did the best adaptation? What about the worst?
I think the first Harry Potter (The Philosopher's Stone) was quite good, but I'm only saying that because it got me into reading. I have to be honest though: I really dislike adaptations in general. They never do the book justice. I know the kind of things other people like, but I've never read the books and so I can't compare the movie. Take 'The Hunger Games' film coming out in the next year or so. I will not go to that expecting it to be good. I will go expecting disappointment, but a good film otherwise. I'm someone who if they hear someone say they've seen, but not read, Harry Potter, I tell them to do so straighaway. I always liked that JK Rowling had a say in the films, since that meant that I trusted her to do the right thing.

I'll say The Help was the best though. It was quite a true adaptation of the book, but the director knew he couldn't just mimic the book. So instead we got this intelligent film that had the same levels, but was easy to understand whether you'd read the book or not. There would obviously be little things that readers liked that weren't there, but in general it was an impressive adaptation and good film in its own right.

Now I could say Harry Potter here (I came to realise I didn't like Daniel Radcliffe) but the worst adaptation I've ever seen was Eragon. I looked forward to that so much, and it was one of the most disjointed, clichéed, plot-obsessed, plot-disregarding wastes of time I've ever had the displeasure of watching. It is nothing like my beloved book and story- merely a money making shadow of it. You couldn't make me watch that film. I'd rather claw out my own eyes or pour scalding water on myself whilst disrobed than see it. It wasn't even good as a film. I know I said The Help was good in it's own right, but it still made nods towards the book that meant it was the same story. Eragon was as though they took the plot, tore away the meat, and re-fleshed out the story for their own purposes. I have burning dislike of that film that I hope I am not too alone in. 

Rant over.

Happy hopping anyway!

8 comments:

  1. Hey, Alex, it's always great to meet a fellow philologist. Stop by The Nocturnal Library to follow us and enter the giveaway we're having this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eragon (the movie) was definitely a let down. I loved the book so much and the movie turned out... meh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nocturnal- Yay for philologists! Among other things, it's a great word!

    Alexa- I could probably pontificate for over an hour on how disappointed I was with that film. I kept telling myself to give it a chance, too. "It'll get better I said", I said. "They can't possibly ruin this," I said. Never have I been more wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex. Hoping through. Night Circus is a great choice.
    New follower from FF.
    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through. I just finished The Night Circus and I loved it. Definitely magical.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just asked for Night Circus for Xmas, so fingers crossed I'll get it!
    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Night Circus I almost forgot I had it! Eep. Gotta get to it soon!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eragon was horrible. In every way. Just as a movie and then as an adaptation. HORRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete