Tuesday 20 September 2011

Top Ten Books I Think Everyone Has Read But Me

Good day, all! I know I'm very infrequent at the moment but I'm under a lot of school stress and I'm trying to establish a timetable. I hope to finish and post a review at some point this week of The Fellowship Of The Ring so I expect you to be on the edge of your already very worn seat.

I'm going with the idea that these are ten books I haven't read, but want to read. Everyone has read Paranormalcy, Vampire Academy and The Twilight Saga but I've never wanted to so I won't include them. (Do you see a trend in what I don't like?)

1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern This is practically only released but the rest of the fricking world has either read or is reading this. How this fair, I ask? The answer: it isn't.

2. Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien I know I've started and nearly finished the first book, but I've spent two years of most other people having read it. It feels like I've come to a great wall that has always been looming on the horizon of my reading.

3. The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak This is one this a bit older now, but I constantly see reference creeping up or spying it somebody's house. I've also heard that it's better than one might expect. Another one that I'd like to get my hands on.

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë This is like one of those classics, that everyone has read at some point in their lives. This is on my to-buy list and has worked its way up recently, but I may cave and buy it so I can see the film. 


5. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess Like the above, everyone seems to have read this as well. Sadly, it's one I forget about a lot and it annoys me because I am sure to find it interesting.


6. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson I know it's only out today, I'm not an idiot. But when you want something so bad, you just see it everywhere, don't you? And I can't help but feel like loads of (but not all) people have read it.


7. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain I'm breaking my rule a bit, because I'm not sure if I want to read it, but I think I do. Twain is someone I want to experience because I'm not sure (yet) what he'd like and I'm curious. Oh-so-curious.

8. Hourglass by Myra McIntyre I actually heard about this before it got released and even before the hype so it is highly annoying that I haven't read it. I mean, I knew about so why didn't I read it? I think it was because Veronica Roth's Divergent came out and I chose that over Hourglass. See! I do try to be good and not buy too many books!

9. Stephen King I've never read anything by this man or many of those other writers who churn out like 6 books a year. I always think the quality must be less because they can write so much, but then I realise: "Hey, I haven't read any so how can I say that?"

10. Every damn piece of Epic Poetry Antigone, the Iliad, the Odyssey, Metamorphoses, Gilgamesh, Beowulf, The Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost are the ones I think read the most, but they just go on and on and I want them all to at least make a try at. And I know I cheated here but everyone else has read too much that I wish  had too. Blame them, not me.

I have to say I really liked the hop this week because it is gratifying to read what other people put and think that'd you've read it. As though you've just found out you are actually in the majority for having read that book. I also think I've read most well-known books so it was quite humbling in some respects.


By the way, it's my birthday on Thursday so if you want to buy any of these for me, drop me a line. I mean it, I want them all in my dirty little hands under my all-consuming beady little reader-y eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment