Monday 6 February 2012

Book Blogger Confessions - 3


This meme is hosted by Karen at For What It's Worth and Tiger at All Consuming Media

The idea of this is to recount, perhaps even vent in order to ward off violent outbursts, about the nuances of life as a book blogger.

Deadlines for reviewing and blogging. Do you set them? How do you keep them? What do you do if you can't meet a deadline?


I always try to set deadlines, but they're never stringent because I think that would take the fun of it out of reading and then reviewing. In my head, I like to think when I can finish a book by and when I might be able to get a review written for it. I finished Slaughterhouse 5 on Friday, and I have general idea that I'll review it this week, but I won't force myself to. I need to think I can sit down and write it when I have time. Even though I want to post as much as possible, I know that I have to put things like school first. I tend to still be reading, but the reviews come slower.

Concerning keeping deadlines, I do try to avoid reading more than 2 books without reviews- even if just a rough draft. I leave a book for too long, I can't write a review properly. Saying that though, a few of the ones I have left for longer and not been wholly in love with haven't garnered negative attention so I try not to have too many issues with this. I also seem to keep to a deadline if I see everyone posting reviews while the spiders are busy making my blog look old and deserted.

I haven't been in a position where I've missed a deadline (yet!) but I don't know what I'd do. I think all one can do is apologise and try to explain why it was missed. Anyone who is expecting you to do something is also human and I like to think they can understand if you can't manage to do something. We're all human after all, not robots.

One final point before I finish.

I tend to a lot of memes in ratio to the reviews I do, but this doesn't bother me. Frankly, I feel lucky if I can manage a review a week and over the moon if I can do two. I like to do memes so that I can (figuratively) say I'm still alive, reading, loving books and I haven't forgotten about my blog. But then deadlines for these (since they fall on days) also sometimes push me. I tend to do Top Ten Tuesdays on Sunday (when I try and persistently fail to do all blog things) and the Follow Fridays on the Friday morning and Thursday evening. When it comes to hopping back for comments though... it's shameful. As I said, I put other things before blogging so I only tend to hop back when I have time, which usually isn't until Mid-Week.

An excellent topic this week- and I hope this explains a seeming tardiness or lack of reviews!

2 comments:

  1. Life does come before blogging. Although sometimes they seem equally as stressful and important.
    Memes like Follow Friday & Top 10 Tuesday often give you as much insight into a blogger and what they're reading as a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about life and blogging. Good for you for not feeling like a robot and reviewing. I do meme's once in while.

    ReplyDelete